Monday 7 December 2015

Six

On this anniversary, I have a profound sense of the distance I've travelled over the last six years.

Then, I was stumbling around weakly, without understanding which fractured part of me had gone missing. Now, I feel whole, not sheared in half. Regardless of my lost breast, my lost memory, my fatigue, I feel whole. It's as if the intact part of my spirit needed to battle it out with the most broken parts of my life, to reclaim my essential strength and energy. In the cataclysm that ensued, in the long, slow healing that followed, I was remade. Incrementally, my own truest Self was restored. 

Now, I feel whole. 
I am whole. 
I am awake. 
I am alive.

A giant claw pierces the breast of a sleeping naked woman, another naked woman swoops down and stabs the claw with a knife; symbolising science's fight against cancer. Watercolour by R. Cooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment