Monday 14 December 2020

More than anything

 

More than anything

I don’t understand

why any of these privations

could have should have would have

been necessary. 


I just don’t understand

what value

what benefit

what meaning

is attached to anything

that has been done.


It’s one thing to bear the weight

of the blows as they

fall upon me.

But it’s another burden again

when the sense and purpose

in those blows is absent.


What can I do with this?

How can I arrange the pieces of

this interminable experience

so that they are shaped into a form

that I can comprehend? 


How can I assemble these

unruly painful fragments

into a whole that is

kind enough in its angles and

gentle enough in its sharp facets

to permit me to dwell therein

without being shredded anew

in each small movement

that I take?


More than anything

I don’t understand


and it hurts.




No comments:

Post a Comment