Sunday 6 February 2011

The burning bush

I’d best say upfront: I believe in Signs.  Not signs (except the ones that say STOP / Hammertime!), but Signs.  The wisdom the Universe is whispering brazenly in our everyday lives, for the benefit of the attentive.  So when the sage old conifer in our front yard erupted into flames, I took notice of it.

Once the fire brigade had left, I found myself contemplating the story of Moses and the burning bush.  His bush burned without being consumed.  Ours burned spectacularly then smouldered out of its own accord - and I’m pretty sure it was the powerlines that set it off and not a flaming angel - but there are nonetheless parallels from the Bible story worth plumbing for meaning and insight in my own life. 

So, here’s Spirited’s potted version of the burning bush story.  First off, God tells Moses to show respect for the sacred ground he is standing on and listen up.  Then God gives him some pretty complicated instructions and tells him to get up off his butt and go do what he is meant to be doing.  Step up Moses, get over your insecurities and just do it.  It turns out Moses has a big destiny waiting for him – leadership and a radical life change far beyond anything he can envision.  But Moses dithers…he isn’t good enough for the job, surely?  His fear obscures the power of the path before him.  He just needs to show up and step off, filled with pure intent and determination to follow the voice of the Holy, and he is assured of both abundance and assistance along the way.  Easy peasy.

Moses taking off his sandals by Nick in exsilio
Ok, so maybe that’s the cut down and contemporised version.  My sincerest apologies go to any readers with Judeo-Christian beliefs for any religious nuances that I’m missing.  But, despite my interpretive shortcomings, the story is full of advice worth considering. 

How is Spirit speaking to me through this attention-getting event?  What wisdom can I find in the way it spoke so powerfully to me of the Moses story?  What is the message of my own burning bush? 

Stop and pay attention to the Sacred at work in my life.  Don’t put off things that I know need to be done.  Change my life by changing my actions.  Step up.  Get off my butt, get over my insecurities, and just do it.  Do not delay.  I’m sure there’s more in it about intent, discernment and abundance too, but this is what stood out to me.  For now, anyway.            

No comments:

Post a Comment