Tuesday 18 January 2011

Unfurling

I’ll admit to being somewhat blogged-out at the end of my Ultimate Adventure, and needed to retreat a little and allow both my keyboard and my fevered imagination to cool somewhat.  However, now the New Year has begun, and with it a wave of experiences both exquisite and excruciating in their intensity.

Queensland flooded and I suffered a sympathetic inundation of my upper respiratory tract.  And so I camped in front of the rolling televised coverage, streaming my way blearily through a box or two of triple-ply tissues.  The boiling wall of destruction that swept through the Lockyer Valley is still unfathomable to me, despite my best efforts to comprehend it.  In stark comparison, the slow, well-planned water creeping and seeping into Brisbane under a flawlessly sunny sky was a contrast so enormous it seems nearly absurd.  Of course it is only the luxury of a safe distance that allows me to think this, not so for all the thousands of misplaced people, grieving the loss of loved ones or homes, or both. 

Despite all this I still live and breathe in a magical world, and I await the unfurling of the tendrils of this year with a sense of positive anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment